While I consider myself more of a fall and spring kinda girl, there’s a lot of things I really do love about summer.
Farmer’s Markets lined with colourful, fresh produce, a mid-day nap in front of the fan, and eating fruit by the pound (literally – last year Jordan & I demolished a 5lb box of blueberries within just a couple of days, and our 10lb box of peaches didn’t make it past a week).
But to me, one thing truly signifies the arrival of summer.
As soon as the weather starts warming up I switch my regular Starbucks americano for iced, waiting not-so-patiently for their cold brew coffee I love so much. Once it’s in store I’m drinking venti iced coffees like it’s goin’ out of style. Throw in a few iced lattes and caramel macchiatos and a light frappuccino or two here and there and I’m one happy lady.
But not only is my Starbucks addiction not so good for my wallet, it’s not the best for my waistline. Caramel macchiatos and frappuccinos are a no-brainer on this one; while an iced tall non-fat caramel macchiato is only 140 calories, it contains 25 grams of carbs, and I’d way rather put those carbs towards some fruit this time of year.
A tall light coffee frappuccino is only 90 calories and 20 grams of carbs, but really…who ever gets a tall? I could slurp that back in one gulp. And the seemingly harmless iced coffee with milk? 180 calories and 36 grams of carbs for a venti. Thankfully I take mine black.
But in addition to my desire to not drink all of my calories, I also want to keep my caffeine intake on the lower(ish) side. After a late night at work, early morning training sessions call for a cuppa’ Joe before I head out the door. Likewise, when I’m sitting at a table writing programs all morning, there’s something comforting about having a cup of coffee.
Then on my way to the hotel I usually stop at one of the 8 million Starbucks I pass on the way to pick up an afternoon brew. This is due more to “yummy-treat” factor as opposed to the “dear God I need caffeine” factor.
SO I had a genius idea. Mornings are usually my “dear God I need caffeine” time. So WHAT IF I made my morning brew just as delicious as the afternoon treats I’ve been spending countless dollars on each week?
So lo and behold, the Iced Vanilla Protein Coffee was born!
This tasty little brew has saved me calories that I can put towards more satiating things and money that I can put towards more important things, like Lululemon & different flavours of whey protein 😉 I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
You Will Need:
- 2 cups coffee – since Jordan wakes up earlier than I do, I get him to make extra coffee so it’s cold by the time I’m awake. If you’re not a fan of drinking coffee that’s been sitting out for an hour or two, you can put some fresh-brewed coffee in the freezer for a little bit. Just be careful not to use glass…you don’t want it to crack!
- 1/2 scoop vanilla whey
- A dash (or 6) of cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, depending on how milky you like your coffee – I often enjoy my coffee black, so I usually just put a splash of almond milk in mine
- 5-6 ice cubs
- Optional: to REALLY make this a treat you can throw in some dark chocolate chips. Nothing like a good blood sugar spike to perk you up 😉
What To Do:
- Pour coffee into a blender, then whey, then cinnamon, then almond milk.
- Toss in the ice, blend, and serve! Starbucks cup is optional but highly recommended
How bout you readers? Have you come up with any drinks to combat your Starbucks addition? What’s your fav drink? Anyone tried the #Blendicano that’s all over Instagram?