ONE DAY AND SIX HOURS UNTIL 2014.
How crazy is that?! It seems like this time of year me and every single other person on the planet are in disbelief at how fast time flies. You would think eventually we would get used to it. I hear people my own age as well as people in the later years of their life saying “I can’t believe it’s already ___!” Maybe time appears to speed up more and more each year. It always reminds me to make the most of my time here on this planet!
In the spirit of not wasting any time, it’s time I get started on a few ideas I have with regards to my personal training business. I’ve been planning and brainstorming like crazy for the past year! But while I passed my practical evaluation just over a month ago and my exam almost two months ago, I still haven’t received my documents that make me an official BCRPA personal trainer 😦 But despite this I have decided to put one of my ideas into action!
In addition to one-on-one personal training I will also be offering online personal training, or as I prefer to call it… “coaching”. I’ll delve into what this entails more in a later post, however during my planning stages I shared a survey on Facebook and Twitter to find out what people are most interested in. One of the most popular options was “Generic, inexpensive workout programs”.
This really surprised me because the way I worded it did not sound appealing. To me, anyway! But the masses have spoken and I have listened. Starting January 1st I will have 4-week workout programs available for purchase on my blog for a mere $10! I will release a new program each month, so if you were to purchase every month you could have a whole year’s worth of workouts for $120. That’s like two studio sessions with a trainer. Crazy, right?
Each program will include 4-5 days per week of workouts that will have natural progressions to keep you feeling challenged each week. They will take certain things into consideration such as the time of year (no one wants to wait in line for a machine at the gym during the first two weeks of January!!) and will be suitable for both beginners and the more experienced fitness participant. A general understanding of movement principals and basic exercises is recommended to reduce the risk of injury.
$10 seems like a pretty good steal, and I understand if there are concerns as to why this is so inexpensive. The main reason is that this is not customized. Personal trainers charge high rates not only for their experience and expertise, but also because they spend time devising a program based solely upon their clients’ needs, goals, likes, dislikes, abilities, previous injuries….all of it! (Or at least they should be.) As these are programs that I create for the general public they do not take such things into consideration. If you don’t really know where to start in a gym setting and can’t afford a personal trainer, or if you’ve been at the fitness game for awhile and are just looking to switch things up a little bit, these programs may be for you!
The other reason this program is only $10 is because the trainer-client relationship will not be as strong. When I work with my clients I like to develop a strong relationship with them so they feel comfortable asking questions and raising concerns. I’m here for them and I feel that it’s important they know that! The same will go for my online coaching clients. With these generic programs I will be happy to answer questions and provide suggestions wherever possible, but certain restraints may limit the amount of time I will be able to spend explaining and individualizing the program to each person that buys it. Fitness is what I live for and helping others embrace an active lifestyle is one of my biggest drivers so I will do my best to work with each and every one of you as needed, but please know that there may be times when this will be limited.
On January 1st I will provide a link to where the first program of the year can be purchased and I will provide some more information as to what it entails as well. Stay tuned! 🙂
In other not so recent news, this little blog here was nominated for an award! Back in…um.. August. I am totally failing at staying on top of this social media game. But in my defense, I wanted to accept the award properly and there are a few things you have to do in order to do so, so I wanted to wait until I had some extra time! Katie over at Sweat Often Live Happy was nice enough to think I was worthy of the Liebster Award! This is like one of the most prestigious blog awards to be nominated for, so it’s a pretty big deal.
I kid. It’s actually meant to recognize blogs you think are awesome that have less than 200 followers. Which is super cool that someone thought my blog deserved to be recognized! So thank you Katie 😀 As part of the nomination acceptance, you have to write 11 random things about yourself, answer the 11 questions the person who nominated you provided, and then nominate some blogs that you think are deserving of a little love and attention as well!
That’s the part that took me the longest. There are a lot of great blogs I read on a weekly basis, but they all have WAY more than 200 followers! So once I was able to take the time to sit down and read through a few to pick those that really spoke to me, I then had to figure out how to determine how many followers a WordPress blog has. I ended up having to ask Foxy Whole Foodie (who has also been nominated for the Liebster Award, which was the only reason why I didn’t nominate her!), and she was nice enough to point out that followers are listed at the top of their reader. Or their page in my reader. I’m not sure which it is. I really need to learn how to use WordPress properly.
ANYWAY. I have five bloggers that I would like to nominate, so let’s get to it!
- Angie at Outdoor Running Adventures has a great blog about…you guessed it! Her outdoor running adventures. She is a fellow British Columbian and is fortunate enough to live up in the northern regions which is where I one day hope to end up. Check out her stories of running in the wilderness with her four-legged friend!
- Ellen at Let’s get real shares her weight loss journey with the world and provides some really helpful tips when it comes to training and nutrition. Definitely worth a read!
- Scotti over at Fit Girl Diaries is a totally badass CrossFit chick who does pull-ups, lifts heavy shit over her head, and shares some really motivational stuff. Reading through her blog makes me want to go kick my ass at the gym!
- Stretchmarklandia is a little different than the other blogs I tend to read; she`s super real and doesn`t hold back when it comes to the issues that many women face. She promotes the word of self love and acceptance, which is something we should all have.
- And finally, Alesha at Made With Love is super crafty and shares DIY projects and delicious recipes, as well as her journey through Jamie Eason`s 12-Week Trainer that I completed earlier this year as well. Go show her some love!!
Alright my nominees, now the challenge is on you! The rules are as follows:
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4. List some bloggers with less than 200 followers that you really feel deserve a little blogging love!
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you`ve nominated to answer.
6. Let all of the bloggers know you`ve nominated them. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you!
My questions for you are:
1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
2. What is your favourite post you’ve written? Provide a link!
3. If you could be trapped on an island with any famous individual, dead or alive, who would it be?
4. If you and said individual could one have one food on your island, what would it be?
5. What motivates you the most?
6. Chicken or the egg?
7. What is your favourite form of physical activity?
8. What is your least favourite form of physical activity?
9. What is one skill you’ve always wanted to learn?
10. What is your favourite childhood memory?
11. What scares you?
And now for the fun part….writing about myself!! 😉
11 Random Facts
1. I was a competitive dancer and figure skater for most of my childhood and early teen years; tap was my favourite style of dance!
2. I took drum lessons between the ages of 13 and 17; when I was 18 I played in a band called Johnny Whisky. We had a few songs, including “Fast Food Criminals”, but probably spent more time drinking beer and downing energy drinks than anything else.
3. My family owned a restaurant until I was 19. I spent a lot of time during my childhood hanging out in the booths doing homework or playing hide-and-go-seek, and I started working there when I was 13.
4. I lived in a fifth-wheel trailer for a year. I spent about 2 years living and working in Manning Park, and after two seasons of living in staff accommodation I decided it was time to get my own space! Sharing my living quarters with huge spiders, mice nesting in my oven, and having no heat and rarely having hot water in the wintertime definitely taught me to appreciate the little things!
5. I have alopecia; the…variety? I guess you would call it, is “male-pattern baldness”. Sounds lovely, hey? I have a solution that I have to apply every day to keep my hair from falling out, and since I began including a tablespoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee I’ve noticed it becoming much more full. Coconut oil FTW!
6. I’ve dabbled with vegetarianism a few times in the past. Every so often I go through phases where I get grossed out by meat. The first time I went about 6 months without eating any meat, and then I got drunk one night and ate a basket of chicken fingers which ended that. A few years later I decided I would just stop eating anything that resembled meat. Pepperoni: okay. Chicken breast: not okay.
7. I’ve owned a variety of rodents throughout my life. I’ve had a guineapig, hamsters, mice, rats, and while I didn’t actually own the squirrel, Jordan and I had a squirrel that lived near my trailer we were quite fond of. We named him Jorge.
8. I’m allergic to winter evenings. I know this sounds like the weirdest fuckin’ thing ever but it’s totally true. Come mid-November around 8pm I start sneezing uncontrollably and become really congested. As the night wears on my eyes usually get really itchy and I often wake up a puffy mess. The frequency of these attacks declines as winter progresses, but I still get them at least a couple of times a week.
9. I’m an only child. When I was little I always wished I had a sibling, but looking back now there would not have been room for another personality under the roof.
10. I’m a huge fan of metal and alternative rock. I don’t like any of the new crap that comes out, just the classics like Tool, Iron Maiden, Pantera, and Primus. I’m pretty selective when it comes to the actual music I’ll listen to, and after listening to these bands over and over, as much as I love them I needed to find something new. Since most new music is garbage in my opinion, EDM it is!
11. Right after high school I went to university to obtain an Associate of Arts Degree in General Studies. Basically the “I have no idea what I want to do with my life but I need to go to school” degree. I dropped out after 3 semesters to go live in the mountains for two years, after which point I went back to school to obtain a diploma in Hospitality Management. It wasn’t long after finishing hospitality school that I realized where my true passion lies, and so began my journey to become a personal trainer!
11 Questions that Katie Chose for Me
1. What is your favourite music to listen to when working out?
Most of the time it’s EDM. I need something with some good, hard bass to keep me in my zone. Every now and then I’ll rock some Pantera when I feel like having an aggressive leg day 🙂
2. Why did you start your blog?
I have a lot of random thoughts that pass through my head and I’ve always found the best way to organize them is to write them down. I filled tons of journals when I was younger and I make lists on a daily basis. I wanted to make this collection of thoughts public to share my passion for health, fitness, and life with those who cared enough to read!
3. Do you have any fitness goals for this year?
My main goal is to increase my strength; I’d like to be able to squat my own body weight and do a chin-up!
4. What is your favourite thing to wear?
When I’m out, Lululemon pants and a tank top. When I’m home, a big baggy t-shirt. Comfort is #1 for this chick. I keep trying to branch out into “normal human clothes” but I haven’t been very successful as of yet. Maybe one day.
5. Is there anything you wish you could change about yourself?
To be totally honest, I’m really not sure. I can be anxious and crazy at times, but I think that’s just what makes me ME! I’m working at overcoming these moments and I’m definitely becoming more aware of them so I think that’s a step in the right direction.
6. What is/was your favourite subject in school?
Biology! I’ve always loved science and nature, and as I got into studying the higher levels of it I really became fascinated by how intricate the world and our bodies are.
7. What/who motivates you?
I’m motivated by individuals who overcame obstacles when the odds weren’t in their favour. Some of these people I know personally, some I follow on social media, and others I’ve just read about. But knowing that there are other people out there pushing through shit and coming out on top makes it easier to push through my own shit.
8. What is your favourite type of food?
Food that makes me feel good. I know that’s really vague, but it changes all the time. I definitely consider myself a foodie and love trying new things. But my favourite type depends on how I’m feeling at the moment. Sometimes a big plate of raw veggies hits the spot, and other times it’s frozen yogurt piled high with delicious toppings.
9. What are 3 things on your bucket list?
Hike the Pacific Crest Trail, visit Alaska, and run a half marathon in a city in a different country
10. Are you craving anything right now?
At this very moment not really; I’m pretty satisfied from all the indulgences I had over Christmas and during my trip to Seattle this past weekend! But pretty much any other time of the year I’m craving ice cream 🙂
11. What is your favourite holiday?
Aside from my Birthday 😉 it would definitely be Christmas. The past couple years I’ve found myself getting much more festive and listening to Christmas music (much to the dismay of my boyfriend) but I’ve always loved the family aspect that accompanies it. I have great memories from my childhood Christmas’s!
To those of you that read through this novel, THANK YOU! I’ll post again on Wednesday to release the first of my monthly programs 😀